Friday 16 January 2015

Blueberry, Coconut and Banana Thickshake.


Summer in Australia is usually ridiculously hot. Whilst I do enjoy the beach, a little bit of heat and in particular, summer fruits, I personally prefer Autumn or Spring for their cooler temperatures. Because I like being a bit cooler, on hot summer days I love nothing more than a cold, refreshing smoothie. My favourite kinds of smoothie's a thick and creamy ones in crazy vibrant colours. In actual fact, I've just been having a Saturday morning ponder and my philosophical question of the day is why are blueberries called blueberries when they're actually purple? I mean, who the heck named them?! Someone who's colourblind obviously!!! 

However regardless of their colour, I love blue (purple) berries. They're so fun to use in smoothie's because they give everything a really cool, psychedelic purple colour which is super fun. Add in some banana combined with the coconut milk, and this smoothie becomes extremely creamy and quite frankly, deliciously purple. By freezing the banana, the smoothie becomes ice cold, but no flavour is lost or diluted as it would be should you add ice. 

I 10/10 would recommend topping this particular smoothie with some fresh pomegranate. This is actually the first time I've ever eaten and used pomegranate and I apologise in advance because there is a strong chance it will feature in pretty much everything I make from now on because it's so quite and fun and red. Obviously being a ginger, I'm a strong supporter of my fellow red/orange things and pomegranate makes that list. 


Ingredients;
1 banana
1/2 cup coconut milk
1.5 cups blueberries
2 tsp organic maple syrup

1. Chop the banana up and freeze it overnight.
2. The next morning, add everything to the blender and whizz away until you have a smooth, creamy and very purple mixture.
3. I recommend serving with some fresh blueberries, pomegranate and shredded coconut. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment