Friday 13 February 2015

Coconut and Vanilla Oats with Figs and Berries.


One of my various new years resolutions is to try more new things. I'm someone who is definitely a creature of habit, so putting myself out there to try different things is a pretty big deal in my mind. I'm that one friend who will inevitably always drag you along to the same, albeit very good, restaurant and have the same, again albeit very delicious, meal.

Overnight oats are one of my favourite breakfasts and I think I'd almost go so far to say they are my top discovery for 2014. Being at a college, I have limited cooking facilities, so I love things that are quick, easy and low cost. A lot of friends think I go super crazy with breakfast and that it must take me hours to make, but appearances are deceptive because this is literally one of the easiest and most flexible breakfasts ever! But, in keeping with my resolution to try new things, I got creative this morning with my oats and ended up with this delicious creation which I'll most likely eat for breakfast tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after that and you get the point.

I've not ever really had figs before, apart from the odd one here and there, but they were on sale at the green grocer this week so I thought I may as well try some. I also wanted to use my discovery of the month, Vitasoy Unsweetened Coconut Milk as well as some blueberries. I added in some pecan nuts for some delicious crunchy texture and some cranberries as well, which are something I've also not ever had but will definitely become a pantry staple now because they are YUM!


Ingredients;
(serves 1)

3/4 cup quick oats (gluten free if you have an intolerance)
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk (10/10 would recommend Vitasoy)
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
2 fresh figs
Blueberries
Pecan nuts
Cranberries
Pure maple syrup (optional)

1. In a bowl, mix the oats, coconut milk and vanilla bean paste until well combined and then place in a fridge overnight, or for minimum 3 hours.
2. After the oats have sat for a sufficient time to absorb the milk, remove from the fridge and generously top with the figs, blueberries, pecans and cranberries and if you're a sweet tooth like me, some pure maple syrup also goes down a treat. Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment