Monday 2 March 2015

Cranberry, Almond and Agave Granola.

I don't actually know what the heck I've been doing for the past 20 years, but until February 10th 2015 I hadn't ever actually eaten granola. In hindsight, I'm just going to embrace the fact that I was evidently some kind of idiot because man was I missing out.

Since February 10th, I have eaten 4 boxes of oats worth of granola, which for the layperson, is a lot of granola. Because of this excessive consumption of the past month, I feel like I can now label myself a granola-guru. I initially thought my apple, sultana, pecan and macadamia combination was an absolute winner, and it totally is (so you should also make that), but this combo also deserves a big shoutout because it is hella fine.

This cranberry, almond and agave granola actually came about because of my procrastination because basically I ate all of my pecan nuts (that's a small problem I seem to have developed in that I can't stop eating pecans as well as granola..) and couldn't be bothered to go to the supermarket and buy more and because of that I obviously couldn't make my usual combination. So, I got inventive and decided to try some new flavours and pretty much this is delicious and I'm going to stop typing now and go back to gorging myself on this granola straight from the jar (no regrets).


Ingredients;
(makes one large jar)

2 cups rolled oats (I use a gluten free variety, but any rolled oats would work)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup slivered almonds (or some peeled almonds cut into quarters)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp raw agave syrup (available at most health food shops/online)
2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
1 cup dried cranberries

1. Preheat a fan forced oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. In a bowl, mix together they dry ingredients (the oats, almonds and cinnamon).
3. To the dry ingredients, add the vanilla extract, agave syrup and coconut oil. Use a spoon to mix the wet ingredients through really well, making sure that everything is well combined.
4. On a lined baking tray, spread the granola mixture out evenly and place in the oven. Cook for approx. 15 mins, but make sure to keep a close eye on things so it doesn't burn.  At about 10 mins, stir the granola and place back in the oven until the oats have started turning a light golden brown.
5. When golden brown, remove from the oven and allow to cool. Then, transfer back to the bowl and add in the cranberries, mixing through well.
6. Store in an airtight container, or a funky glass jar if you're feeling particularly like a hipster (if the granola even lasts long enough to be put in a jar...).

No comments:

Post a Comment