Friday 15 February 2019

Vanilla and Rose Porridge.


Porridge is a staple breakfast in many homes across the world, but alas not mine. Don't ask me why, because there is genuinely no proper reason to explain this, but I was at least 22 years old before I ate my first bowl of porridge (that I can remember at least). Safe to say that having now having discovered the wonders of porridge for breakfast, I AM FEELING CHEATED! I want to time travel, go back to the days of 'yo, what in the heck should I eat for breakfast because there are. no. good. BREAKFAST FOODS' and rain down the enlightenment of porridge all over my breakfast-needing soul. Like, we've never talked about this before because it's a deep dark secret from the depths of my past life, but there was a time I hated breakfast. I'd skip it and say mean things about breakfast and let's just say, breakfast and I were not friends, not at all.

I now know why - I had no porridge!

Fast forward to today and my life is a much happier place, mostly because I am now friends with breakfast. The sun shines a little brighter, the birds are chirping, et al, and I am feeling well and proper nourished because I just ate a giant bowl of this very porridge for breakfast and you damn well bet I feel like health and wellness and every ounce of wholesome living that exists on this earth is radiating out of every fibre of my being. This porridge is full of all that quality long-lasting energy courtesy of the oats, is flavoured to perfection with vanilla and rose and is topped off with juicy stewed blueberries and long story short, through this bowl, I have reached peak breakfast goals. It's everything you want to wake up to in the morning and more. Make it for your breakfast now, revolutionise your life and, most importantly, though we may be new friends, I think you're the bomb.com porridge!!!




Ingredients;

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 cup rose tea*
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1/2 cup blueberries
Dried rose petals (entirely optional and very bougie) and a few squares of dairy free chocolate (I used caramel) to serve

1. Take a medium saucepan on medium heat and add the rolled oats, almond milk, rose tea and vanilla bean paste to it. Stir through well and allow to heat up, stirring consistently till all the liquid is absorbed into the oats and it reaches your desired consistency.
2. While the porridge is cooking, in a small saucepan add in the blueberries plus a tiny splash of water and heat them up - they'll taste divine on the top of your delicious rose flavoured porridge!!!
3. When your porridge is cooked, scoop it out into a bowl, top with the stewed blueberries, add on some dried rose petals for extra pizzaz plus some vegan chocolate for good measure and hot diddly DAMN have you got yourself a WICKED breakfast!!

*You could use any tea you like, but I strongly suggest rose because of the beautiful floral flavour it gives this porridge! Dried rose buds are available in most tea shops and health food stores, simply brew in hot water for a few minutes then add to the porridge mix



No comments:

Post a Comment